10.28.2007

The last couple of months have brought on the worst case of ADD I have ever admitted to having. I'm trying to read an article on the death of newspapers and ironically, I'm distracted by the very culprit - the Internet. Not so strangely, I have to know what's going on outside of my bubble, which we refer to today as facebook stalking. Not only that, but I read the first three heds (the three in the biggest font) on the homepage of the STrib, CNN, NYTimes and occassionally the WSJ, and then I move onto the next site that is conveniently updated every 7 seconds. I can't put my finger on whether I'm addicted to knowing as much as I possibly can, or if I just can't stand the thought of being left out. As a journalism student, being left out is the equivalent to failing out of school. And then there's a startling contradiction: I get a 5 or less out of 10 on my news quiz every Thurdsay in my publications class. I got a 7 once..... once. The main reason for this is because three questions ask for the names Iranian/Iraqi/Palestinian leaders/prime ministers/yadda yadda. If they aren't spelled correctly, it's wrong. Generally, I write the first letter of the dude's name, followed by -hfdahjhgihggadgbga. Same thing, right?

Anyway, I'm beginning to see the decline of print. I'm also beginning to hate the fact that we have eveything at our fingertips. We have information about information, and we have newspaper companies being bought out by data information companies. Bye-bye Tribune Company. It's sad. The gap has never been this defined. We have diaper-wearing adults nursing print, and not before long me, my friends and my collegues will be out of jobs. Three decades ago, people would have laughed in the faces of the financial officiers at NYTimes for charging nearly $600 for a year-long subscription. What's happening to reporting on people for the people? The simplicities of telling a story are falling through our fingers like sand, and the last hope for newspapers, my generation, is being told that we better look into new media before it's too late..... or is it already?

So.... I'm going to get back to my article, and finish the whole thing before clicking over to CNN for a 7-second update.

And then I'm going to go home and run, far, and continue to pray for true direction.

No comments: